3rd June 1989
|Locos Used||33064, 47209, 47284, 47515, 85019 & 85025|
|Connecting DMU's Used||150207 out & 53964+54247 back|
|EMU's Used (service train)||?3174, 3472 & 3473? (6)|
Route : 1Z36 throughout
|85019||Carlisle - (via WCML, Northampton) - Mitre Bridge Jn|
|47515||Mitre Bridge Jn - North Pole (3)|
|47209||North Pole - Grove Park (4)|
|33064||Grove Park - Faversham - Margate - Ramsgate - Canterbury West|
|EMU's as listed
|Margate - Ramsgate - Minster - Canterbury West - Ashford|
|47284||Ashford - Tonbridge - Beckenham Junction - Crystal Palace - Mitre Bridge Jn|
|85025||Mitre Bridge Jn - (via WCML) - Rugby - Coventry - Grand Jn - Bescot - Bushbury Jn - Stafford - Crewe - Stockport|
|47459 (5)||Stockport - Manchester - Preston|
|85025||Preston - (via WCML) - Carlisle|
(1) Simon Reed comments: this was a "Mystex" with planned stops at Margate, Ramsgate & Canterbury West, Tour was scheduled to return same route [across London via Lewisham & Nunhead] but due to stock defects and late running the tour restarted from Ashford. A 12 car VEP including 3473 "bridged the gap". Derek Thompson adds: After setting down at Canterbury West the train ran empty to Ashford for servicing and was then due to return ECS back to Margate and pick up at Ramsgate and Canterbury West, then return via Tonbridge. While at Ashford, however, 33064 failed and there was a coach defect so the train never made the empty stock move. As a result, a normal service train (units 3174 and 3472) was used to get the passengers to Ashford. On the return journey the train was booked via Warrington and Wigan but because of the late running the train was diverted via Manchester, but not before a 30min stop at Crewe to allow passengers to purchase food & beverages as the ob-board buffet had sold out of everything.
(2) Connecting DMU's ran from Barrow (06.15 dep) to Lancaster & back (05.12 dep!).
(3) 47515 failed at North Pole.
(4) 47209 failed at Grove Park!
(5) 85025 dead-in-tow.
(6) EMU confirmation required - Simon Reed reported a 12-car set including 3473 whereas Derek Thompson reported 3174+3472?
Sources : Simon Reed & Derek Thompson
(all photos: Derek Thompson)
85019 on the outward train at Lancaster.
47515 and 47209 following detachment at Grove Park.
33064 on arrival at Ramsgate.
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Derek Thompson)
|Penrith||06.53a ~ 06.55d||06.55 ~ 06.59||23.02a ~ 23.04d||02.57 ~ 03.00|
|Oxenholme||07.19a ~ 07.21d||07.24 ~ 07.26||22.33a ~ 22.34d||02.30 ~ 02.32|
|Lancaster||07.35a ~ 07.37d||07.41 ~ 07.43||22.14a ~ 22.16d||02.11 ~ 02.14|
|Wigan North Western||08/17||08/21||21/||DIV|
|Warrington Bank Quay||08/27||08/31||21/36||DIV|
|Crewe||08/49||08/49||21.08a ~ 21.10d||23.39 ~ 00.12|
|Lichfield TV LL||09/20||09/22||20/28||DIV|
|Harrow & Wealdstone||10/55||10/53||18/59||21/12|
|Willesden WL Jn||?||?||18.45L 18L55||20.55 ~ 21.05|
|Mitre Bridge Jn||11L01 ~ 11L11||11.17 ~ 12.26||?||?|
|Margate||12.53a ~ 12.54d||-|
|Canterbury West||13.21a||15.12||17.03a ~ 17.05d||?|
Back to "The Railtour Files"