1st May 1954
Society (N.W. Area) / Manchester Locomotive Society
North Lancashire Rail Tour
|Stock Used (1)||Club Cars 823+822+816+809+815+818 + an open brake third|
Route : W699 throughout
|42316||Preston - Deepdale Jn - Grimsargh (2) - Longridge|
|42316||Longridge - Grimsargh - Preston - Whitehouse North Jn - Whitehouse South Jn - Todd Lane Junction - Lostock Hall Jn - Farington Curve Jn - Preston - Garstang & Catterall - Garstang Town - Pilling (3)|
|42316||Pilling - Garstang Town - Garstang & Catterall|
|42316||Garstang & Catterall - Lancaster Castle - Glasson Dock (4)|
|42316||Glasson Dock - Lancaster Castle|
|42316||Lancaster Castle - Carnforth - Arnside|
|42316||Arnside - Sandside - Hincaster Jn - Oxenholme|
|42316||Oxenholme - Carnforth - Castle - Lancaster No.1|
|42316||Lancaster No.1 - Lancaster Old (4)|
|42316||Lancaster Old - Lancaster No.1 - Preston|
(1) The Club Cars were respectively built by the LMS in 1939 (as part of the USA 'Coronation Scot' train of that year), LMS 1935 (from the pre-war Manchester-Blackpool service), LNWR 1913 (a 12-wheeler), MR 1910 (known by the 1950's as a 'Semi-Royal'), LNWR 1908 (8-wheeled) and LMS 1925. Car 815 had been substituted for a contemporary LNWR Car 814, as the latter was discovered to have a corridor gangway at one end only.
(2) About 100 tour participants joined the train at Grimsargh following a visit they had made to the Whittingham Railway, a two mile branch joining the Longridge branch with a local hospital. Loco 1 'James Fryars' (ex-LBSCR 357 'Riddlesdown' of 1886) was in use on the branch with its passenger train of former LNWR brake vans (with seats).
(3) At Pilling it was required to divide the train and a complex set of shunting moves was required to run the engine round, resulting in late running.
(4) As with Pilling, the train had to be divided as part of the run-round operation.
(4) Lancaster Greaves. Reported as the first passenger train to visit this location for 105 years.
Sources : Chris Harley (from contemporary
sources), Peter Robinson & Ian Clark (SLS)
M823M & 42316 at Longridge (photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
M809M & 42316 at Longridge (photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
M815M, M809M, M822M & M823M at Longridge
(photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
M822M at Glasson Dock (photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
12-wheeler M816M at Glasson Dock (photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
A final view at Glasson Dock of the train (photo: the Bob Mitchell collection)
From The John Debens Ticket Collection.
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Ian Clark (SLS)/M.L.S. Library Collection)
|Grimsargh||14.26 ~ 14.27||?|
|Longridge||14.34 ~ 14.44||?|
|Preston ELS||15/06 [P10]||?|
|Todd Lane Jn||15/10||?|
|Lostock Hall Jn||15/12||?|
|Farington Curve Jn||15/16 [SL]||?|
|Preston N.U.||15/20 [FL]||?|
|Garstang & Catterall||15.32 ~ 15.33||?|
|Pilling||16.18 ~ 16.40||?|
|Garstang & Catterall||17.24 ~ 17.32 [Knot End Loop]||?|
|Lancaster Castle||17.48 ~ 17.49||?|
|Glasson Dock||18.09 ~ 18.33||?|
|Lancaster Castle||18.53 ~ 19.03||?|
|Arnside||19.23 ~ 19.33||?|
|Oxenholme||19.58 ~ 20.08||?|
|Lancaster No.1||20.33 ~ 20.34||?|
|Lancaster Old Station||20.38 ~ 20.44||?|
|Garstang & Catterall||20/58||?|
|Preston N.U.||21.10a [P7]||23.15|
Associated E.C.S. & Light Engine Moves
G - (class 4 2-6-4 P.B. Tank) : Preston to Lostock Hall
|Todd Lane Jn||13/02|
C - (class 4 2-6-4 P.B. Tank & stock) : Lostock Hall to Preston N.U.
|Farington Curve Jn||13/51 [SL]|
Back to "The Railtour Files"