12th October 1996
Bert Hooker Memorial (train 2)
|Locos Used||33046, 33202, 47627 & steam: 35028 'Clan Line'|
Route : 1Z71 throughout
|47627||Crewe - Madeley - Norton Bridge - Stafford - Bushbury Jn - Portobello Jn - Bescot Stadium - Perry Barr North Jn - Aston - Proof House Jn - Birmingham New Street - Soho South Jn - Galton Jn - Rowley Regis - Stourbridge Junction - Kidderminster - Droitwich Spa - Worcester Shrub Hill - Norton Jn - Abbotswood Jn - Ashchurch - Cheltenham Spa - Gloucester Yard Jn - Standish Jn - Stroud - Swindon - Didcot Parkway|
|35028||Didcot Parkway - Swindon - Chippenham - Bradford Jn - Westbury - Castle Cary - Yeovil Pen Mill|
|33202 + 33046 (1)||Yeovil Pen Mill - Maiden Newton - Dorchester West - Weymouth|
|35028 + 33202 + 33046 (4)||Weymouth - (reverse of outward route) - Yeovil Pen Mill|
|47627||Yeovil Pen Mill - Castle Cary - Westbury - Bradford Jn (2) - Bath Spa - North Somerset Jn - Dr Days Jn - Stapleton Road - Bristol Parkway - Westerleigh Jn - Yate - (2) Standish Jn - (reverse of outward route) - Crewe|
(1) 33046 & 33202 were deputising for 34027 'Taw Valley' which had been failed the night before the tour.
(2) Was booked to run the reverse of the outward route (except reversing at Swindon, not Didcot) but as the line between Swindon & Gloucester was closed overnight the train was re-routed.
(3) Two trains ran this day, both with the same name. Train 1 was organised by L.S.W.R.
(4) It was originally suggested that all three locos were at the head of the train however at least one contributor believes this was not the case and it was the 33's only - confirmation required.
Mike Harries comments: I had chosen to go on this train in the hope of reaching Weymouth behind steam – but it was not to be!. The train had originally been planned for 11th May, and had been re-arranged because Taw Valley was unavailable at that time; but this time it failed too late to permit any further re-arranging. It had been intended that both this train, and the LSW one from London, would have double-headed Bullieds out of Weymouth – this train was to go first, and the locos were then to run back light to Weymouth to haul the LSW tour double headed back to Clapham Junction. Clan Line had problems hauling the LSW train (running tender first) from Yeovil to Weymouth, so that departure of this train was an hour and three quarters late. Because of the severe delay and since the Swindon to Gloucester line was to be closed overnight, this tour was unable to take the booked route Yeovil – Chippenham – Swindon (reverse) – Stroud – Cheltenham, but was diverted at Bradford Junction via Bath – Feeder Bridge Jn – Dr Days Jn – Bristol Parkway – Cheltenham and so back on its booked route to Crewe
Sources : Mike Harries (on the train throughout), Chris Harley
& Gordon Jakes
(all photos: Gordon Jakes)
35028 plus support coach backs on to the train at Didcot Parkway.
The class 33's coming on to the train at Yeovil Pen Mill.
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Mike Harries & Gordon Jakes)
|Basford Hall Jn||04/55||?||?||?|
|Stafford||05.16a ~ 05.17d||??.?? ~ 05.33||21.40a ~ 21.42d||23.30 ~ 23.32|
|Bushbury Jn||05/30||05/49||21/29||??.?? ~ 23.15|
|Perry Barr North Jn||05/45||?||21/16||23/00|
|Proof House Jn||05/52||06/12||?||?|
|Birmingham New Street||05.55a ~ 06.02d||06.15 ~ 06.30||21.01a ~ 21.06d||22.45 ~ 22.47|
|Soho South Jn||06/10||?||?||?|
|Kidderminster||06.37a ~ 06.39d||07.07 ~ 07.09||20.24a ~ 20.26d||22.13 ~ 22.15|
|Worcester Shrub Hill||06.56a ~ 07.14d||07.29 ~ 07.32||20.05a ~ 20.07d||21.53 ~ 21.55|
|Ashchurch Loop||07/30||??.?? ~ 08.10||19/49||21/37|
|Cheltenham Spa||07.38a ~ 07.41d||08.19 ~ 08.21||19.39a ~ 19.42d||21.28 ~ 21.30|
|Gloucester Yard Jn||07/49||?08/28?||19/32||?|
|Stroud||08.00a ~ 08.03d||08.40 ~ 08.41||?||DIV|
|Kemble||08/19||08t57 ~ 09t03||?||DIV|
|Swindon Loco Yard||08/32||?||?||DIV|
|Swindon||08.34a ~ 08.37d||09.17 ~ 09.20||?||DIV|
|Didcot Parkway||08L58a ~ 09L30d||09.43 ~ 10.35|
|Wootton Bassett Jn||10/10||11/07||?||DIV|
|Chippenham||10.23a ~ 10.25d||11.17 ~ 11.18||?||DIV|
|Bradford Jn||10*45 ~ 10*55||11/37||18/03||20/08|
|Westbury||11c07 ~ 11c17d||11.55 ~ 11.58||17/54||19/59|
|Clink Road Jn||11/29||12/08||17/48||?|
|Castle Cary||11*50 ~ 12*01||12/23||17/35||19/40|
|Yeovil Pen Mill||12Lp16a ~ 12Lp52d||12.35 ~ 13.05||16L54 ~ 17L15||19.00 ~ 19.26|
|Maiden Newton||13t17 ~ 13t33||13.25 ~ 13.36||16t31 ~ 16t34||18.12 ~ 18.37|
(1) Departure from Crewe was reported as being due to the driver being in the wrong position.
(2) The delay at Birmingham New Street in the outward direction was due to awaiting a Guard.
(3) The use of Ashchurch Loop and the delay encountered there was awaiting a Pilotman for the Standish Jn to Swindon line for which the driver did not have route knowledge.
(4) The stop at Kemble was due to awaiting access to the single line.
Back to "The Railtour Files"