9th - 11th May 1992
Society of Ireland
Grainne Uaile Railtour
|Locos Used||IE diesel & steam: 171 & 461|
|DMU Used||NIR set|
|09/05||461||Cravens IE coaches||Dublin Connolly - Mullingar - Athlone - Claremorris - Westport|
|10/05||IE diesel||Cravens IE coaches||Westport - Manulla Junction - station points|
|10/05||IE diesel (1)||Cravens IE coaches||station points - Manulla Junction [Ballina platform]|
|10/05||461||Cravens IE coaches||Manulla Junction - Ballina|
|10/05||461||Cravens IE coaches||Ballina - Athlone - Mullingar - Dublin Connolly|
|10/05||461||Cravens IE coaches||Dublin Connolly - Howth Junction - Malahide - Drogheda - Dundalk (2)|
|10/05||461||Cravens IE coaches||(3) Dundalk - (reverse of outward route) - Dublin Connolly (3)|
|10/05||NIR DMU||-||(2) Newry - Portadown - Lisburn - Belfast Central|
|11/05||171||5x RPSI coaches||Whitehead RPSI - Whitehead NIR - Carrickfergus - Greenisland - Bleach Green Jn - Belfast York Road|
|11/05||171||5x RPSI coaches||Belfast York Road - Bleach Green Jn - Antrim - Ballymena - Castlerock|
|11/05||171||5x RPSI coaches||Castlerock - (reverse of outward route) - Belfast York Road|
|11/05||171||5x RPSI coaches||Belfast York Road - (reverse of outward route) - Whitehead RPSI|
(1) Loco propelling.
(2) NIR laid a bus on to get passengers between between Dundalk and Newry stations (either side of the border) as the line was closed at the time owing to a bomb attack on the line just south of Newry. The closure of the line meant loco 171 and the RPSI vintage stock could not be used more extensively for this tour as originally planned as they were the wrong side of the line closure.
(3) The return run from Dundalk to Dublin was shown as an empty stock movement in the timing sheet however Chris Totty confirms it was possible to travel on this back to Dublin as he and his father did.
(4) Route & loco confirmation required for the Monday trip (11/05) - above is what was advertised & timed. 171 was booked to run tender-first from Whitehead to Belfast York Road and Coleraine to Castlerock. The original planned route was;
|Belfast Central - Lisburn - Antrim - Ballymena|
|Ballymena - Antrim - Bleach Green Jn - Belfast York Road|
|Belfast York Road - Whitehead RPSI|
461 being coaled at Claremorris on May 9th (photo: Max Birchenough)
Source : Chris Totty (left the train at Dundalk on 10/05)
Timings (Booked Only)
(from Chris Totty)
Saturday 9th May
Sunday 10th May
|Location||Booked (out)||Booked (rtn) (2)|
|Rush & Lusk||19/39||22/22|
|Portadown||22.06a ~ 22.07d|
|Lisburn||22.30a ~ 22.31d|
(1) All passing times shown in the two tables immediately above were all given in the timing sheet as "depart" however it is suspected these were in fact passing times - though shown as such above, confirmation of this is required.
Monday 11th May
|Location||Booked (out)||Booked (rtn)|
|Bleach Green Jn||08/52||16/57|
|Belfast York Road||09L03a ~ 10L00d||16L07a ~ 16L45d|
|Bleach Green Jn||10/10||15/57|
|Antrim||11.05 ~ 11.07||15.05 ~ 15.07|
|Ballymena||11w25 ~ 11w35||14w39 ~ 14w46|
|Coleraine||12L18 ~ 13L02||13/57|
(1) All passing times shown in the table immediately above were all given in the timing sheet as "depart" however it is suspected these were in fact passing times - though shown as such above, confirmation of this is required.
Back to "The Railtour Files"