9th March 1985
F & W Railtours
The Lancashire Linx
|Locos Used||20060, 20160, 25034, 25224, 31117, 31187, 31273 & 45069|
Route : 1Z42 throughout
|31117 + 31187 (8)||Plymouth - Totnes - Newton Abbot - Dawlish Warren - Exeter St Davids (1)|
|31273 + 31187||Exeter St Davids - Taunton - Bridgwater - Bristol Temple Meads - Stapleton Road - Filton Jn - Bristol Parkway - Westerleigh Jn - Yate - Standish Jn - Cheltenham Spa - Ashchurch - Stoke Works Jn - Barnt Green - Kings Norton - Bordesley Jn - St Andrews Jn - Proof House Jn - Birmingham New Street|
|45069||Birmingham New Street - (2) Proof House Jn - Grand Jn (2) - Landor Street Jn - Water Orton - (3) - Kingsbury Jn - Burton-on-Trent - Stenson Jn - Derby - Ambergate jn - Clay Cross South Jn - Chesterfield - Dronfield - Dore Station Jn - Sheffield - Wincobank Station Jn - Barnsley - Crigglestone Jn - Horbury Station Jn - Heaton Lodge Jn - Milner Royd Jn - Hall Royd Jn - Copy Pit - Gannow Jn - Lostock Hall Jn - Farington Jn - Wigan Springs Branch Down Goods|
|20060 + 20160||Wigan Springs Branch Down Goods - Wigan Wallgate - Southport|
|25034 + 25224||Southport - Springs Branch Jn - St Helens Shaw Street - Ravenhead Jn - Earlestown - Warrington - Crewe - Stafford - Bushbury Jn (6) - Bescot Stadium - Perry Barr North Jn - (6) Soho South Jn - Birmingham New Street|
|31187 + 31273||Birmingham New Street - Selly Oak - Kings Norton - (reverse of outward route) - Plymouth|
(1) 31117 swapped for 31273 at Exeter St Davids for reason(s) unkown.
(2) Originally shown as routed via Selly Oak and the Lifford curve to Landor Street Jn but Steve Atkinson says it did not go this way.
(3) Originally shown as via Whitacre Jn but Stephen Atkinson says it did not go this way and took the direct route instead.
(4) The tour was originally supposed to go to Colne which was accepted by the Midland region in principle but it was omitted due to pathing constraints.
(5) The tour advertised a class 40 between Birmingham and Wigan Springs Branch but the only class 40 available at that time was 40122 which was diagrammed to work another charter train that day. The class 45/0 was provided in it's place. The tour also advertised a class 25 to top and tail the class 40 on the Colne branch but this was dropped when the Colne branch was omitted from the itinerary.
(6) Booked route was: Bushbury Jn - Wolverhampton - Dudley Port - Galton Jn - Soho South Jn
(7) The tour price from Plymouth was £16.95 and £14.95 from Birmingham with free connecting trains from Weston-super-Mare (to get to Bristol TM), from Gloucester (to get to Cheltenham), and from Worcester Foregate Street (to get to Birmingham). This also included the return workings. The promotional brochure quoted a 'sorry note' that said that free connections were no longer available at Cardiff/Newport due to a recent Western Region policy decision.
(8) Originally uploaded as 31117 + 31273.
From Bob Mitchell's ticket collection.
Sources : Andy Dunnett
(joined/left train at Taunton),
Stephen Atkinson (joined/left the tour at Birmingham New Street),
Andrew Young (joined at Plymouth, left at Cheltenham Spa on the return)
& MisterC (joined an Newton Abbot, left at Bristol Parkway)
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Stephen Atkinson & Mark Chaplin)
|23.12||Totnes||04.29a ~ 04.31d||?||21.43a ~ 21.44d||?||194.23|
|31.69||Newton Abbot||04.44a ~ 04.46d||?||21.28a ~ 21.30d||?||185.46|
|52.03||Exeter St Davids||05.08a ~ 05.10d||(approx. 40mins late)||20.57a ~ 21.06d||?||165.32|
|82.63||Taunton||05.38a ~ 05.40d||?||20.24a ~ 20.26d||?||134.52|
|127.39||Bristol Temple Meads||06.20a ~ 06.32d||?||19.43a ~ 19.46d||?||89.76|
|133.28||Bristol Parkway||06.42a ~ 06.43d||?||19.28a ~ 19.30d||(approx. 40mins late)||84.07|
|165.46||Gloucester Yard Jn||07/12||?||18/59||?||51.69|
|171.76||Cheltenham Spa||07.18a ~ 07.19d||?||18.46a ~ 18.48d||?||38.28|
|201.11||Stoke Works Jn||07/43||?||18/23||?||16.24|
|203.24||Bromsgrove||07/45||?||18.19a ~ 18.48d||?||38.28|
|-||Kings Norton Jn||18/09||?||5.58|
|217.36||St Andrews Jn||08/17||?|
|218.33||Proof House Jn||08/20||?|
|-||Church Road Jn||18/02||?||1.37|
|Birmingham New Street||08L23a ~ 08L33d||09.45 ~ 10.02||17L41a ~ 17L55d||(approx. 50mins late)||0.00
|1.45||Landor Street Jn||08/37||?|
|7.62||Water Orton East Jn||08/43||10/05|
|41.19||Derby||09.20a ~ 09.21d||10.39 ~ 10.40|
|61.20||Clay Cross South Jn||09/46||?|
|77.50||Sheffield||10c07 ~ 10c09||?|
|80.70||Wincobank Station Jn||10/14||?|
|102.27||Horbury Station Jn||10/53||?|
|106.45||Thornhill LNW Jn||11/00||?|
|109.11||Heaton Lodge Jn||11/03||?|
|126.59||Hall Royd Jn||11/26||?|
|146.71||Blackburn||12p02a ~ 12p22d||?|
|155.71||Lostock Hall Jn||12/32||?|
|169.18||Wigan North Western||12/53||?|
|Springs Branch Jn||12L55 ~ 13.15||?|
|1.15||Wigan Station Jn||13/17||?|
|Southport||13L46a ~ 14L36d||(approx. 60mins late)|
|18.66||Wigan Station Jn||15/06||?|
|26.16||St Helens Shaw Street||15p18a ~ 15p33d||16/29|
|27.62||Sutton Oak Jn||15/38||?|
|28.17||St Helens Junction||15/40||?|
|31.05||Earlestown West Jn||15/44||?|
|31.25||Earlestown East Jn||15/45||?|
|35.74||Warrington Bank Quay||15/51||?|
|60.17||Crewe||16.24 ~ 16.26||?|
|110.71||Soho South Jn||17/37||?|
Timings continued in first table.
Back to "The Railtour Files"