17th March 1979
The Pines Express
|Locos Used||37233, 46013, 47020, 47069 & 47090|
|47090 (2)||London Paddington - Slough - Reading General - Didcot - Swindon|
|47069||Swindon - Thingley Jn - Bradford North Jn - Bradford West Jn - Bath Spa - Bristol Temple Meads (3)|
|46013||Bristol Temple Meads - Narroways Hill Jn - Avonmouth - Hallen Marsh Jn - North Filton - Filton Jn - Dr Day's Jn - North Somerset Jn - Bath Spa - Bradford on Avon - Westbury|
|37233||Westbury - Clink Road Jn - Frome North Jn - Radstock West|
|37233||Radstock West - (reverse of outward route) - Westbury|
|47020 (4)||Westbury - Clink Road Jn - Frome Avoiding line - Blatchbridge Jn - Castle Cary - Yeovil Pen Mill - Dorchester West - Weymouth (5)|
|47020||Weymouth - Dorchester South - Poole - (6) - Bournemouth Central - Brockenhurst - Southampton Central - (7) - Winchester - Basingstoke - Woking - Surbiton - Wimbledon - Earlsfield - Clapham Junction - London Waterloo (7)|
(1) Originally uploaded as having been run by the "Lea Valley Railway Club", the booking form was headed "Hertfordshire Railtours". The booking form advertised this train as having a class 40 from Paddington to Westbury where a 31 or 37 was to take the train to Radstock West & back. The 40 was then booked to Weymouth from where it was advertised for class 03 haulage to Weymouth Quay & back. Finally the 40 was booked to haul the train to London Bridge. Standard class fare was £5.95 and £8.45 for first class.
(2) Was to have been hauled by a pair of 31's but, once on the train, it was discovered their boilers weren't working. A swap to 47090 was made....after departure it was discovered that 47090's boiler wasn't working either! A swap to 47069 was made at Swindon...a no heat loco!!
(3) Booked route was direct from North Somerset Jn to Dr Day's Jn but went into Temple Meads for a loco change.
(4) Swap to 47020 (more no-heat traction!) was made as the DR refused to accept 46013.
(5) Should have gone to Weymouth Quay with a loco change at Weymouth Jn (to a 33/1) but did not do so as it was dark. The tour organiser tried to get the tour routed direct back to London owing to the severe late running but BR still insisted it go to Weymouth. The train had left Yeovil Pen Mill 239 minutes late! Alan Osborn adds: The train had to be shunted into a siding at Castle Cary so as not to obstruct the West of England Main Line while it was awaiting a train from Yeovil to arrive off the single line. When this train arrived the next service train to Weymouth also arrived and this took precedence hence we had to await this train to get out of the section before we were allowed to follow. A yet further delay occurred at Yeovil Pen Mill awaiting the next service train from Weymouth off the single track. As a result the tour was diverted to run into Weymouth Town station rather than the Quay and then run fast main-line to London Waterloo.
(6) Train was booked to go via Bournemouth West with further reversal at Branksome, but abandoned due to the late running.
(7) After Southampton the route should have been: Netley - Fareham - Cosham - Farlington Jn - Havant - Haslemere - Guildford - Effingham Junction - Leatherhead - Epsom - Sutton - West Croydon - Norwood Jn - Forest Hill - London Bridge but train was routed direct due to the late running.
(8) Due to all the on-the-day problems the tour had a free re-run on 13th May 1979 (actually described as the "90p Re-Run" on account the organiser charged just for postage & admin costs).
Sources : John Clifford, Stew Robertson, Dave Higson & Alan
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Stew Robertson & Alan Osborn)
|Reading||08.21a ~ 08.23d||09.00 ~ 09.05|
|Swindon||09*03a ~ 09*15d||09L56 ~ 10L40 [TL]|
|Wotton Bassett Jn||09/22||10/44|
|Chippenham||09*30 ~ 09*31||10/53|
|Bradford North Jn||09/50||11/09|
|Bradford West Jn||09c51 ~ 09c53||11.12 ~ 11.14|
|Bath Spa||10.08a ~ 10.08d||11.38 ~ 11.42|
|North Somerset Jn||10/22||11/56|
|Bristol Temple Meads||DIV||12L00 ~ 12L15|
|Lawrence Hill||10*24a ~ 10*25d||12/17|
|Hallen Marsh Jn||10/50||12/40|
|Filton West Jn||11/15||?|
|Lawrence Hill||11c27 ~ 11c30||13/08|
|North Somerset Jn||11/32||-|
|Bath Spa||11.47a ~ 11.47d||13.21 ~ 13.22|
|Bradford West Jn||12/04||13/40|
|Westbury||12L12 ~ 12L25||13.52 ~ 14.12|
|Clink Road Jn||12/32||14/21|
|Frome North SB||12c35 ~ 12c36||14.24 ~ 14.25|
|Mells Road||12/58||14.55 ~ 14.58|
|Radstock||13.10a ~ 13.20d||15.20 ~ 15.37|
|Frome North SB||13c54 ~ 13c55||16.27 ~ 16.28|
|Clink Road Jn||13/58||?|
|Westbury||14L04 ~ 14L15||16.39 ~ 16.50|
|Clink Road Jn||14/22||16/58|
|Castle Cary||14*37 ~ 14*38||17.16 ~ 18.01|
|Yeovil Pen Mil||14x52 ~ 14x53||18.15 ~ 18.50|
|Maiden Newton||15*12 ~ 15*13||19/02|
|Weymouth SB||15L36 ~ 15L51||?|
|Weymouth Quay||16.08a ~ 16.23d||DIV|
|Weymouth Town||DIV||19.28 ~ 20.00|
|Weymouth SB||16L40 ~ 16L55||?|
|Bournemouth West CS||17L53 ~ 18L03||DIV|
|Branksome||18L06 ~ 18L16||20/41|
|Bournemouth Central||18c21 ~ 18c25||20.46 ~ 20.54|
|Cosham||19*46a ~ 19*48d||DIV|
|Guildford||20.44a ~ 20.45d||DIV|
|Effingham Junction||20*57a ~ 20*58d||DIV|
|Bricklayers Arms Jn||21/36||DIV|
|Basingstoke||DIV||22.08a ~ 22.09d|
|Woking||DIV||22.30a ~ 22.31d|
Back to "The Railtour Files"