6th March 2010
The Doric Olympian
|Locos Used||47773 & steam: 6201 'Princes Elizabeth'|
|Stock Used||35470+99349+99361+99353+3125+13227+5198+5177+5157+5191+9101+35465 (1)|
1Z70 : Birmingham New Street to Kensington Olympia
1Z73 : London Euston to Birmingham New Street
|47773||Birmingham New Street - Proof House Jn - Aston - Perry Barr North Jn - Bescot Stadium - Portobello Jn - Wolverhampton - Stafford - Norton Bridge - Madeley - Crewe|
|6201 (2)||Crewe - (via WCML, Trent Valley & Northampton) - Wembley Central - Sudbury Jn - Willesden No.7 - Willesden WL Jn - Mitre Bridge Jn - Kensington Olympia|
|6201 (2)||London Euston - (via WCML, Trent Valley & Northampton) - Crewe|
|47773||Crewe - (reverse of outward route) - Wolverhampton - Dudley Port - Galton Jn - Soho South Jn - Birmingham New Street|
(1) 35465 only in consist when 6201 was on the train.
(2) 47773 on rear.
Source : Dan Adkins
(by Gordon Jakes)
The day was of mixed results. The main issue, that of the performance of 6201, was never in doubt – a steady performance was produced on a day when progress was only made in fits and starts between signal checks. The only unconstrained section was after the water stop at Tamworth on the return journey. Unfortunately this section was carried out after dark and precise timings were not possible. However the 46¼ miles from a standing start at Tamworth to Basford Hall Junction were undertaken in just 44 minutes – an indication of what could have been achieved especially considering the fully loaded 12-coach train plus the dead weight of a class 47 at the rear.
The catering for the premier class coaches was a different matter – the list of issues was lengthy and the complaints were rife!
1. The cooked breakfast was not served until almost midday.
2. The breakfast plates were cold by the time the food was served and the food was only luke-warm (except the baked beans).
3. No reason was given for the delay in serving – there was a gap of over 90 minutes between the cereal and cooked courses.
4. A young lady came round to take the drinks order for the evening meal. She also advised that drinks could be ordered for consumption before arrival at Olympia. These were ordered but did not arrive!
5. On other trains, the drinks ordered to accompany the evening meal were available on-table for the passengers taking their seats on the return journey. On this train drinks were still being served one hour after departure from Euston. Only two people were involved in serving the drinks (including the Chef) and they seemed incapable of carrying more than one order at a time – whatever happened to trays?
6. The evening meal was worse in terms of serving times – the main course was not served until nearly two hours after the soup. However the food quality was better than at breakfast and was served hot on hot plates. The desert pie was poor and poorly presented as a mush. Coffee was not served in time to drink same before arrival at Crewe
7. The lighting in the coach was very limited with no main lights.
The train PA was not working and the only advice given regarding progress
was in respect of the points failure at Bletchley in the outward journey. Other
significant delays went unreported.
9. The door at the end of the coach was not sprung correctly and was left open by the stewardesses. This ensured that the temperature in the coach was cool at best and subject to blasts of cold air.
6201 working hard on the approach to Northampton (photo: Dan Adkins)
6201 'Princess Elizabeth' & 47773 at Euston (photos: Gordon Jakes)
Timings (Booked & Actual)
(from Dan Adkins & Gordon Jakes)
|0.00||Birmingham New Street||06.45d [P3]||?||23.32a [P3]||?||28.20|
|-||Soho South Jn||23/27½||?||?|
|?||Proof House Jn||06/47½||?|
|?||Perry Barr North Jn||0/57½||?|
|15.42||Wolverhampton||07.26a ~ 07.28d [P2]||?||23.13a ~ 23.15d [P3]||?||15.25|
|?||Wolverhampton North Jn||07/29½||?||23/11||?||?|
|?||Trent Valley Jn||07/43½||?||?||?||?|
|Stafford||07.45a ~ 07.47d [P6]||07.43 ~ 07.47||22.54a ~ 22.56d [P4]||?||0.00
|22.60||Basford Hall Jn||08/10||08/08||22/33||?||1.60|
|Crewe||08L14a ~ 08L45d [P12]||08.14 ~ 08.45½||21L56a ~ 22L27d [P11]||21.54 ~ ??.?? [P11]||0.00
|1.60||Basford Hall Jn||08/52 [US]||08/52½ [US]||21/50||21/45 [DF]||158.54|
|24.40||Stafford||09/15 [P4]||09/16||21/24 [P5]||21/25||135.74|
|24.79||Trent Valley Jn||09/16||09/19||21/23||?||135.35|
|27.36||Whitehouse Jn||09/30 [UM]||09/33½ [UM]||?||?||132.78|
|28.52||Milford & Brocton||?||09/35||21/19||? [DF]||129.62|
|30.73||Colwich||09/34 [UF]||09/37½ [UF]||21/16 [DM]||? [DM]||129.41|
|33.44||Rugeley North Jn||09/38||?||21/11||?||126.70|
|41.24||Lichfield TV North Jn||09/46||09/46||21/03||?||119.10|
|?||Tamworth LL||?||?||20.39 ~ 20.54||?||?|
|55.60||Atherstone||10w03 ~ 10w18||10.05 ~ 10.18||?||20/39||104.54|
|60.73||Nuneaton||10/28 [P5]||10/26||20/24 [P2]||20/34||99.41|
|62.34||Attleborough Jn||?||?||20/21||? [DS]||98.00|
|74.65||Trent Valley Jn||10/48||10/41||19/57||19/45½ [DS]||85.49|
|10.45 ~ 10.55
|19/55 [P6]||19/43½ [P6]||84.71|
|76.51||Hillmorton Jn||10/53||10/58½||19/53||? [US Bi-Di]||83.63|
|94.43||Northampton||11/17 [UF]||11/21½||19/30 [P2]||19/22||65.71|
|103.64||Hanslope Jn||11/29||11/31½ [US]||19/17||?
|110.46||Milton Keynes Central||11/36 [P2]||11/40||19/09 [P3]||19/06||49.68|
|?||Denbigh Hall South Jn||11/39||?||19/03||18.22 ~ 19.01||?|
|(113.22)||Bletchley UGL / DGL||11w43 ~ 12w28 [UGL]||11.46 ~ 12.48||18w16 ~ 19w00 [DGL]||18.22 ~ 19.01||(47.10)|
|113.57||Bletchley||12/30 [P4]||12/49½||18/12 [P3]||18.17½ ~ 18.18||46.57|
|134.71||Bourne End Jn||12/54||13/15½||17/45||17/45||25.43|
|142.77||Watford Junction||13/02 [P9]||13/22½||17/36 [P8]||17/34||17.37|
|149.01||Harrow & Wealdstone||13/08||13/29||17/29||17/26||11.33|
[Up Willesden Relief]
[Up Willesden Relief]
|153.45||Wembley Yard South Jn||13/17||13/35|
|155.11||Willesden WL Jn||13/23
[Up West London]
[Up West London]
|155.44||Mitre Bridge Jn||13/25||13/40½|
|155.74||North Pole Jn||13/26||13/41|
|157.67||Kensington Olympia||13.30a [P3]||13.45|
|-||Camden South Jn||17/14 [DS]||17/13 [DS]||1.13|
|-||Euston||17.09d [P14] [Line C]||17.09 [P16] [Line C]||0.00|
Back to "The Railtour Files"