14th February 2004
Valentine Scenic Express
|Locos Used (1)||47828 & 47851|
1Z37 : Watford Junction to Carmarthen
1Z38 : Carmarthen to Watford Junction
|47828||05.44 (2) Watford Junction - Milton Keynes Central (3) - Weedon (4) - Rugby|
|47851||Milton Keynes Central - Northampton - Coventry - Birmingham International - Birmingham New Street - Cheltenham Spa - Gloucester - Chepstow - Severn Tunnel Junction - Cardiff - Pontyclun - Bridgend - Neath - Landore Jn - Swansea Loop West Jn - Llanelli - Carmarthen|
|?47851?||Carmarthen - (5) (reverse of outward route) - Rugby - Northampton|
(1) 37197/37261 were to have been the motive power, but changed to 31190 & 37694 after the 37's could not make the journey from the East Lancs Railway for Old Oak Common following an incident at Castleton which resulted in the driver being relieved of duty, there being no alternative driver available to take the locos onwards.
(2) Stock arrived at Watford Junction over 100 minutes late, the problem being reported as generator car failure, hence replacement of 31190 & 37694 by 47828. Tour finally departed Watford Junction at 09.00, over three hours late!
(3) 47828 believed to have been failed at Milton Keynes with loss of power, but it soldiered on to Rugby where 47851 replaced it.
(4) Diverted via Weedon to save time, Northampton & Long Buckby passengers joining at Rugby.
(5) Tour was booked via Central Wales line but was re-routed via Gloucester & Cheltenham Spa as class 47's are not passed for the Central Wales line without prior paperwork.
Sources : various
Timings (Booked & Actual)
|Milton Keynes Central||06.19a ~ 06.23d||09.29 ~ 09.33|
|Northampton||06.46a ~ 06.48d||DIV||23.05a||23.08|
|Long Buckby||07.01a ~ 07.03d||DIV||22.51a ~ 22.53d||22.32 ~ 22.36|
|Rugby||07.14||??L??a ~ 10L34d||22.21a ~ 22.39d||22.13 ~ 22.20|
|Coventry||07.26a ~ 07.28d||10.46 ~ 10.48||22.04a ~ 22.06d||21.57 ~ 21.59|
|Birmingham International||07.37a ~ 08.16d||11.01 ~ 11.06||21.24a ~ 21.53d||21.41 ~ 21.43|
|Proof House Jn||08/30||11/17||21/17||21/31|
|Birmingham New Street||08.33a ~ 08.49d||11.19 ~ 11.23||21.10a ~ 21.14||21.26 ~ 21.29|
Timings supplied for the Website after the tour ran were those developed for the return leg on the day as a result of the loco substitution, outward wee as booked, return are the hastily derived ones. From the timings given the train only made it back as far as Northampton, presumably onward passengers were got home by road transport?
|Stoke Works Jn||09/11||11/46||20/42||20/53|
|Cheltenham Spa||09.37a ~ 09.40d||12.03 ~ 12.06||20/16||20/28|
|Barnwood Jn||09/48||12/12||20*01a ~ 20*07d||??.?? ~ 20.12|
|Severn Tunnel Jn||10/27||12/49||19/17||19/18|
|Port Talbot Parkway||11/25||13/53||18/05||18/04|
Timings continue in first table.
Back to "The Railtour Files"